Friday, July 31, 2026

32

July is almost over, and school is about to start. Although, most students still have a couple of weeks of summer left, lots of Texas teachers start back next week. I'm excited, but saying goodbye to the lazy days of summer is always bittersweet...

  • Sounds of Lewisville concerts
  • Sounds of Summer @Grandscape concerts
  • Coffee w/Cousins
  • Catch-up lunches w/friends
  • 2 weeks of Vacation Bible Camp
  • Chicagoland Vacation

Yes, it's been a good summer, but now it's time to get ready for school.

Most educators say that when they retire they will never go back, and I thought that would be me, but it turns out that, just like so many others, I'm actually going back. I'll be starting my 32nd year in education on Monday.

After 31 years as a teacher/school counselor, I retired in May 2024 and took what is now referred to as a "gap year". During that year, I traveled, volunteered, started this writing blog, and allowed myself to get some much needed rest. However, by the end of that year, it was time to do something more.

I considered various job options but realized that I still liked education and decided to try subbing for a local school district, and before I knew it, I was subbing A LOT, and I liked it A LOT! So, I've decided that I'm not through being a full-time educator, and I'm going back to work...at a school...on Monday. 

My new position will be a little different than any of the positions that I held prior to retiring, but that's actually why I've accepted it. Instead of being a teacher, school counselor, department chair, testing coordinator, or instructional leader, I'll be monitoring a learning lab for students who need to make up tests or complete missing work. Sometimes students will come when they simply prefer a quiet place to do their work. My room will be a very ZEN place. After having spent over 3 decades planning and teaching engaging lessons, counseling, presenting various workshops to students/teachers/parents/staff, coordinating STAAR, etc., I'm looking forward to creating a calm place for students to come to when they need a peaceful place to work. I was the long-term sub for this position at the end of last school year, so I already know what I'll be doing, and I really think it's going to be a good thing. 

I spent 31 years encouraging students to be their best selves, and I think that this will still be a position where I can encourage students but in a much quieter way, and I'm excited for this new school year!  

May the 2026/27 school year be filled with love, laughter, peace, safety, and health for all.


  

1 comment: